Eggplant with Organic Marinara Sauce
Mangia! Don’t miss this nutritious take on an Italian classic – it’s great for a big family dinner.Like & Share
Mangia! Don’t miss this nutritious take on an Italian classic – it’s great for a big family dinner.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 cups brown rice breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. water
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese/substitute
- Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- ½ large sweet onion, diced
- ½ tbsp. organic tomato paste
- 1 28-oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ tsp. fresh black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Slice eggplant in ¼ -in. slices, place in colander, and sprinkle both sides with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Add garlic to pan and reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly to avoid burning garlic and continue cooking for approximately 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Simmer uncovered for thicker sauce.
- Beat eggs and water. Place brown rice breadcrumbs in flat dish and mix in oregano, ½ tsp. salt, and pepper. Dip eggplant in egg mixture and lightly coat with breadcrumb mixture. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Spray top of eggplant with light coat of olive oil. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turn over, and bake for another 10-12 minutes until both sides are lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Top each eggplant slice with 1-2 tablespoons of organic marinara sauce, top with mozzarella, lightly sprinkle parmesan cheese if desired, and return to top rack of oven until golden brown.
Like & Share