Portobello Mushroom Cheese Steaks
The rich, earthy flavors of portobello mushrooms provide a quick and satisfying treat without traveling to Philly.Like & Share
The rich, earthy flavors of portobello mushrooms provide a quick and satisfying treat without traveling to Philly.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 large red pepper sliced thin OR 10 mini bell peppers
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. rice flour
- ⅓ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. wheat-free tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Millet-flax lavash or gluten-free flatbread
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized (about 3-5 minutes). Add bell peppers and stir until coated with oil and slightly soft. Add mushrooms, oregano, and ground pepper, stirring until veggies are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Lower heat and sprinkle rice flour. Stir. Add broth and tamari and stir until veggies are evenly coated. Turn off heat and lay cheese slices over top of veggies. Cover until melted.
- Heat lavash or flatbread in oven.
- Use a spatula to gently lift veggies and place on one half of lavash/flatbread. Fold* other half over and slice into wedges.
* Can also be made into pizza by spreading veggie mixture over lavash, topping with provolone and baking at 375° for 10 minutes.
Like & Share