Stuffed Acorn Squash
Don’t miss this zesty way to boost an acorn squash. Can be portioned as a flavorful side dish or satisfying as the main event.Like & Share
Don’t miss this zesty way to boost an acorn squash. Can be portioned as a flavorful side dish or satisfying as the main event.
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ⅔ cup onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup feta cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut acorn squash is half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash cut-side down onto lightly greased baking sheet and bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until knife can easily pierce outside skin of squash. Remove from oven and turn squash cut side up immediately. Raise oven temperature to 500°.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté, stirring constantly, for 2 additional minutes. Add tomato paste, spinach, and water. Stir to blend and cook until spinach wilts, approximately 1 minute. Add garbanzo beans, feta, and olives. Stir until heated thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Fill each acorn half with bean mixture and lightly sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Broil at 500° for 5 minutes when heated through and parmesan cheese becomes golden brown.
Like & Share